This week Belgian visitors arrived to stay at Jackal’s Den for Monday night. They brought the Belgian weather with them and it rained for three days and three nights. They were meant to stay just for Monday night but ended up staying till Thursday before leaving to visit the Kruger National Park – we had so much fun.
When I set up the B&B I made many lists and thought long and hard about what I would need to have available for my guests. Each time I have visitors though, I find there is something I have forgotten to think about and have available for them. I hope that these slip-ups have not detracted from their enjoyment.
Things I have remembered this week:
- I remembered Belgium. Although I really love living here and would not change a thing, I do miss some things from Belgium, like the snow and the smell of their spaghetti bolognaise and the quaint little villages.
- I remembered that Belgians, like most Europeans, look at instant coffee with disdain.
- I remembered how much I love the Dutch language and accent.
- When you hire a car make sure you get a set of spare keys to take with you on your journey.
- I learned that it is possible to find a tiny lost set of keys on a 350 hectare game reserve even although it make take 20 hours. ( I think we were very lucky)
- I learned how to make REAL filter coffee without any equipment (desperate Belgians are as creative as Afrikaans farmers :)) All you need is a pot, a sieve and a sheet of paper towel (and ground coffee of course)