Art group on Thursday night was all about clay modelling. I was caught up in my jackal painting so did not work with the clay which I regret a bit. Everyone was so absorbed with what they were doing and the results were very interesting. Anne asked the group to use the human form but to distort it. Here are some of the results.
that’s a bottom….
Nicola’s skinny man
Mark’s second piece
and his first one – lots of laughs with this one – I love the left mans hat
Dianne’s man with kissable lips
Johan’s foot and shoes
and Millie’s dainty lady.
I’m sure you also noticed all the glasses of wine. We have quite a festive time at these classes.
And finally, here is Alf (who arranged my roofs and my shade cloth house) – working on his zebra. This man is totally colour blind and paints beautifully. We just have to tell him which tube of paint to use 🙂
Two weeks ago we learned a new painting technique at art group. When Anne told us about it, it sounded a bit strange to me – I thought no one would want to hang a picture like that on their walls. Boy was I wrong!
Start off by tearing print sections of newspaper (just bits with writing on – no pictures) into pieces approximately the size of an orange. You can also experiment with larger or smaller pieces I’m sure.
Glue the bits of newspaper onto a large piece of white or black board or paper leaving an edge of at least 1,5 cm’s around the edge as a frame. Overlap the bits so that you don’t get background paper showing through.
leave the news paper as your background and paint a picture just using black and white acrylic paint. Our group painted trees. You can finish off with a glaze to set the picture and paper properly if desired.
This weekend I decided to experiment with the cracks in our paving around the pool. The paving was laid many years ago while the surrounding trees were small. Now that the trees have grown some of the paving has moved and cracked.
I quite like the rustic look it gives and I don’t want to lay any new paving because it will take away from the feel of the place. I will be filling most of the cracks with cement to stop any weeds growing through. Recently I saw a picture of some stone steps that had been built with some mosaic tiles between the stones and I wanted to try this in a crack to see the effect. I am quite ready to chop it all out again if I don’t like it.
First I had to buy cement – I never knew there were so many kinds so it was a little stressful deciding what product to use. Because some of the cracks were quite deep and wide I settled on a builders mix of cement and sand. When I got home I saw that it was packaged separately and because I didn’t want to mix up the whole bag at once, I had to estimate the mix – lets hope it doesn’t all crumble as soon as it rains.
After filling the crack with the cement mix, the Bean and I started laying mosaics, beads, stones and other interesting small items into the cement.
And this is what it looked like half way through
I took a few more photos after the cement had dried – now all I have to do is decide if it stays or gets chopped out again. Fred was very interested while we were laying the tiles and was rather jealous that the paving got so much “tickling” instead of him.
You can click on the thumbnails to have a closer look